Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Touchy-feely-ism

An absolutely ripper of a comment by Danny Finkelstein at The Times yesterday. He gives us a glimpse of his planet-sized brain and explains the five hot trends in political thinking. But something links them all. They are not really political, philosophical or economic philosophies at all. They are all grounded in social psychology.

It's a fascinating place for politics to start. Rather than propose grand world views and all-encompassing ideologies, why not actually start from analysing what people are really like then design public policy around that? If only I'd taken the psychology option at university rather than political economy then I could really get stuck into this. Instead, I've got a mountain of reading to do....On second thoughts, I'll just keep my eye on Mr Finkelstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment