Saturday, 7 June 2008

A pointless but fun prediction

OK, it's adopt a team time. The Guardian has adopted the Netherlands. Personally I think they are mad. They look dodgy defensively to me notwithstanding Edwin Van Der Sar. Mario Melchiot is in their squad for goodness sake!

There are so many good sides, many of whom we don't know: both Czech Republic and Poland were outstanding in qualifiers as were, to England's detriment, Croatia. France are France, Italy are Italy (but old), and Germany are, well....Germany. Some favour Portugal and in Quaresma and Ronaldo there are a couple of players who could between the two of them turn a tournament.

But for me, I agree with Kevin McCarra, Spain are the strongest team on paper. I don't see an obvious weakness. Casillas, Puyol, Alonso, Xavi, Fabregas, Villa, Iniesta, and Torres. Ah, Fernando Torres. A little sunshine has just come into this gloomy London day.

Of course, Spain always disappoint. As Senator Obama's victory in the US shows, this is a year of change. Perhaps Spain will finally shed their reputation as the perennial underperformers. Worth £20 I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment